Quick! Which of these two shows features:
- Ne'er do well fathers who dies young
- Leaving their winsome working mothers
- to raise mopey teenage daughters alone.
- The father returns from the dead to offer the daughter advice at her high school graduation,
- while the wife's feisty best friend provides the comic relief with her own dysfunctional marriage.
If you answered both you are correct!
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn's Johnny never beats his long-suffering wife. He just drinks and gambles away her money while promising to "Buy her a star." Meanwhile Carousel's Billy brings an actual star to his daughter but settles for giving her a slap.